After a long day at school I started another course tonight, Assistive Technology. I found it very interesting to learn what is and is not Assistive Technology (AT). Before I came to this class I had thought that assistive technology is only computer programs or electronic technology that can help student increase their independence in school. It became very clear to me that AT it not IT. Tonight I learned, instead, that AT is the use of any service and/or supports that increases each individual student's ability to access information and tasks independently that they otherwise would not be able to do or access. It increases their inclusion and performance in school and extra curricular activities. It now makes senses to me how even a weighted pencil or a fidget toy can be considered a type of assistive technology for some students. I also learned how important it is to assess student's use of AT as it changes over time due to curriculum changes, student development and changes in technology itself.
During this class I also learned what a task analysis is and can honestly say that I had never really thought about all the steps that are really taking place for a student to be able to read. I had studied science in my undergrad so I was aware of what your body has to do scientifically to be able to read, but never before had I actually made the connection to putting this whole process together. I have to admit that as a junior high teacher I had always taken for granted that a student would know which way to hold the book. As our classrooms become places where together many students with diverse needs are learning, I see the importance of knowing how detailed a task analysis is. It has also been reinforced to me how important it is, as a teacher, to review my lessons and what it is I am asking students to do. I really need to know my students and create a classroom environment that is built around reasonable learning expectations.
I am eager to learn about several forms of assistive technology and how they can be use by the students in my classroom. I fine it frustration that the classroom teacher does not always get trained on the types AT and how it is used by students in the classroom. I am confident that this course will give me the background I need to be more comfortable using AT in my classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment