This week we learned about a new function available on iPods and iPads. There is now a function build into the devise that will read text for the user. This is great for students who may not have a text to speech app on their devise. We also learned about the ReelDirector App. Through using exploratory learning (watching videos on YouTube and learning by doing) we created commercials for different types of assistive technology products. In my group we created an infomercial targeted at junior and senior high students who have difficulty with written output. In our infomercial we highlighted how students can use their iPods for more than just listening to music, checking their e-mail, and facebook. We introduced a few Apps including Dragon Dictate, and Pictello. Sorry! you will not be able to watch our infomercial, I do not feel comfortable having our video on YouTube.
I can see many uses for this App in class. If students have a quick and easy way to create a video they may be more likely to use this method to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding and for creating presentations. It does take a bit of time to create a video, students would need more than one class to complete a project like this, they also would need a place to save their video so others could watch. Students would need to be encouraged to pre plan their video. They could use Apps such as Story Cubes or Story Builder if they need ideas for a video and/or inspiration or iThought to brainstorm video ideas as well as plan out the flow/order for their video. I definitely will suggest this App to my students next time we are working on projects.
This week I also watched 2 webinars, one on Apps for reluctant readers and the other on Apps for reluctant writers. It was very useful to learn about the many Apps available and what they can be used for. I will have to spend the next few days trying out some of these Apps and discover how I could use some of them in my grade 8 and 9 Social Studies classes. I am excited to experience a webinar in real time next week because I have never been involved in anything like it before. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how it works in time for the class to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment